Thursday, September 15, 2011

He Who Climbs the Fence


It’s a bird, it’s a plane, its… wait it’s not superman… I thought he was the only one capable of leaping tall structures in a single bound, but I was wrong. I have two wonderful dogs, a black lab named Jet, and a chocolate lab named Tonka. Jet is three years old and has been a resident of our household since he was eight weeks old. He is a field dog, which pretty much means he can never run out of energy… EVER. He would make the energizer bunny break down in tears! Anyway aside from being full of energy he is a total sweetheart. I mean he has his flaws… but who doesn't. Anyway he can’t stay in our house by himself, so he is banished to the backyard when we go into town. Poor Nanna! (wait… put down the phone. Don’t call the animal cops on me. I put water out for him and he gets fed twice a day, I promise! Plus you have to admit most dogs in the car at the store look really miserable, so really I'm doing him a favor.) Anyway we have a fenced portion of our yard where he and Tonka stay while we are away. This proved to be too short to keep the rascal in, so I added higher fencing to the previous structure. Overall the fence is over 5 feet tall, which seems taller than necessary… or so I thought. Apparently our dog was misnamed, we should have named him Superdog!!! Because he really is able to leap tall structures in a single bound. Actually Spiderdog might have been more appropriate, or Superspiderdog, because he jumps up and then climbs over the top portion of the fence. He can even climb out of his kennel if we leave the dog house in it. I love him to pieces, but he drives me crazy with his Houdini like impersonations. That’s it… we should have named him Houdini, the dog who can escape unlikely locations. Anyway if we don’t put him in the kennel before we leave he will be waiting for us in the front yard upon on arrival. If we didn’t live by a roaring highway I might be less inclined to be upset every time I see him out there. For now he has to go in the kennel whenever we leave, which makes him unhappy, but it is better than having him running wild. And this has been my amazing adventure with a dog who thinks he is Houdini.

No comments:

Post a Comment